Thursday 3 September 2020

Rain on the Rock

Travelling back in time  .....  2006
In 2006 we travelled from our home in Adelaide to  Uluru (Ayers Rock).  This was our first trip to the Northern Territory and also the longest trip we had done in our van.  We were amazed at how the colour changed depending on the time of day and the weather.  We were fortunate that it rained one day and the Rock took on a totally different colour and the water running off the rock was wonderful to see.





The walk around the base of the rock is about 10.6 km.

Above, the rain on the Rock was spectacular and from a distance it was very different looking and the colour was more of a purple colour.

Uluru is a sandstone rock formation and is 335 km south west of Alice Springs.  Uluru is sacred to the Pitjantjatjara Anangu, the Aboriginal people of the area.  Around the rock there is an abundance of springs, waterholes, rock caves and ancient paintings.





In 2006 tourists were allowed to climb the Rock but were advised that it was a sacred site to the aboriginal people and therefore it was not encouraged.  We respected their culture and didn't climb it but quite a few did.  


It is a very difficult climb, very steep and quite dangerous and many climbers have died from accidents during their trek up the Rock.  There was a chain guided hand rail from "chicken rock"  up to the top but many people didn't venture past Chicken Rock which is the rocky area not far from the base.  


The rock face is steep, the safety chains were installed more than 50 years ago, and there’s no shade to protect climbers from high desert temperatures. It’s also incredibly windy up there. There have been 35 recorded deaths on the Uluru climb, most of them due to heart attacks. (This paragraph was taken from the Internet).


There is now no climbing allowed on the Rock, but you can walk around the base which we did and it was a great walk with lots of caves and interesting things to see.





Linking up with Our Corner of the World

https://myworldthrumycameralens.blogspot.com/

My Corner of the World

18 comments:

Margaret D said...

How different it does look with rain on it.
Great to see once again - we've been twice but never climbed the rock.
Your photos of it are lovely and particularly I'm partial to the 9th one, it's just different with the light..
Take care and thanks for sharing.

Rosie said...

Margaret, yes it takes on a different look in the rain. Now that I have looked at my old photos I want to go back again! There are so many places I want to visit again.

Elephant's Child said...

How amazing to see Uluru in the rain.
Thank you for showing us its beauty - and for not climbing it.
Slightly off topic, one of my sister's in law traveled to the Red Centre after rain. She was amazed to see wildflowers as far as she could see. And was disappointed because it wasn't what she expected (something which I do not understand).

Yvonne said...

I've only seen distant photos of this rock. Nice to see a few closeups, so its character is revealed.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

I would love to visit the Rock one day

Veronica Lee said...

Such fascinating captures! I would love to visit Uluru someday!

betty-NZ said...

How cool to see the water running through the caverns. I appreciate all the information about this interesting place.

I'm so excited to see you at 'My Corner of the World' this week!! Thanks for linking.

Joan Elizabeth said...

Beautiful images ... I look forward to visiting there one day.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

It’s amazing the way the color changes...you really captured all it’s moods. What a great trip. I’m glad they stopped people climbing it, because that somehow doesn’t seem respectful (not to mention danger).

Rosie said...

We have been to Uluru twice now and I am thinking it would be good to go there again (when we can travel). On our first visit I was surprised at just how huge it is, even though I knew it was big, it just seemed even bigger. I don't remember wild flowers so probably they are out in bloom at a different time of year.

Rosie said...

I was surprised when we walked around the base as there was so much to see.

Rosie said...

I hope you are able to visit there as it is a beautiful place.

Rosie said...

I am glad you like the photos. I sometimes wish I had taken more as the colours change so much during the day and evening.

Rosie said...

The rain on the rock was a highlight on our trip there and something not seen very often.

Rosie said...

Hope you can visit the rock as it's a very interesting area.

Rosie said...

I am pleased you liked my photos, it is sometimes hard to get the right shot, and the Rock is so huge too and tourists often don't respect the beauty of our country. Nobody is allowed to climb the rock now which I think is good.

Cheri (Blackledge) Peine said...

Rain on the Rock - what an amazing picture! A very interesting story about the rock and the number of people who have died. I would have thought from falling, but I suppose the temperatures and stress would definitely have an impact for heart failure. WoW! A very interesting story about this beautiful rock. I think the walk around it would be a great way to spend sometime. Thanks for sharing this.

Lowcarb team member said...

Hi, just come across from Thoughts and Happening, Margaret's blog.

These are amazing photographs, it is so huge isn't it, and the colours are wonderful.

All the best Jan

Featured post

Around The Coorong

  InLinkz  for WATER H20 THURSDAY The Coorong Narrung, South Australia Beachport, Sth Aus Robe,Sth Aus Narrung Point Malcolm Ligthouse, Narr...