My Sunday Selections

                                                 Adelaide Post Office


       Our World Tuesday Graphic

My theme this week is Street Scenes.  We have been able to get out and about a bit more now and so we enjoyed some time away from home but we are still being careful and kept our social distance, mainly staying in the car.

We had a trip into the City (Adelaide) this week and I took a lot of photos, most from the car as we drove around, but we did stop and get a few other photos too, so I will keep this theme going for a few weeks as there is a lot to see and I think I will have to make a few more trips into the city as I only captured a small section of the city.  

It was great to be a tourist again as we don't go into the city much any more because we have almost everything we need in our local area.


This was taken as we drove along North Terrace, one of the 4 terraces that surround the central business district of Adelaide.  North Terrace runs East-West along the square mile of Adelaide and many of the public buildings are along this terrace including the Museum, the Library and the University of Adelaide.


Intercontinental Hotel 

This building is known as "The Cheese Grater" because of its exterior surface.  It is in fact the South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute.  

Adelaide's $200 million crystal palace, with its 6290 triangular glass panels twinkling and changing colour in the sun, is set to become the city's new landmark building.



Adelaide University

The Adelaide Library

Parliament House on the corner of North Terrace and King William Street from the North Terrace side.
And in front of Parliament House were these bright orange scooters which seem to be on every street around the city.



Another view of the River Torrens

The City Bridge over the River Torrens.  


The Rotunda on the River Torrens.
The Adelaide Oval Stadium

Another view of Stadium at the Adelaide Oval.


Another view of the River Torrens from War Memorial Drive.
The Riverbank Footbridge, $40 million  bridge for pedestrians and cyclists which links the Adelaide Oval to the Railway Station.
A section of the  footbridge with the  2000 sq mtr of glass cladding which extends around  the length of the footbridge.
The footbridge to the Convention Centre

And St Peters Cathedral, but the sun was unfortunately not helping my photo today.

I did manage to get a photo of the side of the Cathedral and the car park, that was the best I could do, but I thought I could not leave it out as after all we are in the City of Churches!


Comments

DUTA said…
I'm quite impressed with the buildings in Adelaide! Interesting architecture and beautiful overall sites!
Margaret D said…
What wonderful photos of the old and the new.
The building are good and nice to see.
Never been into the city in Adelaide always driven past the city..
Take care.
It is years and years since I have been to Adelaide - a city I love. Some of it looks very different (and the cheese grater is definitely new to me). Some day I will have to go back.
Thank you for joining us again.
Tanza Erlambang said…
unique architectures and beautiful views......great shots.
have a wonderful weekend
Such lovely photos, I like them
CathyC said…
:) lovely to see the city. It has been a long time since I was in the city too - it's on my list of things to do LOL
What wonderful picures. I have to admit one of my favorites was "The Cheese Cutter". I can see where that "nickname" came from! As always I enjoy seeing pictures of your countryside! So beautiful!
Rosie said…
Duta, yes Adelaide is a lovely city with old and new buildings but I am a biased! Thanks for visiting.
Rosie said…
Margaret, now you have visited Adelaide city! Next trip over here you'll have to stop and look around the city centre as it is an easy city to see by foot or car. I always feel like a tourist here as we don't come into the CBD very often, and it is always changing, not like when I worked many years ago.
Rosie said…
EC, I hope you come to Adelaide one day, it has changed a lot over the years. Thanks for visiting.
Rosie said…
Tanza, thanks for visiting my site and hope you stay well.
Rosie said…
Jo-Anne, thanks for your comments and I hope you have a good week.
Rosie said…
Cathy, thanks for your comments. Adelaide is changing and there were many new buildings and construction sites.
Rosie said…
Cheri, thanks for your comments. Adelaide has some unusual buildings and some lovely old ones too. I will visit again and get some more photos. Have a good week.
I enjoyed our time spent in Adelaide.

Popular posts from this blog

Around Home

Sunday Selections