Sunday 16 August 2020

My Sunday Selections

My theme this week is a selection of photos from a small town and surrounding countryside in the Adelaide hills,  not far from home.  

A Sunday Drive to Mt Pleasant 


Mount Pleasant is situated 55 kms north-east of Adelaide, a part of The Barossa Council area.


There are some lovely old homes in Mt Pleasant, and this one (above) is the old Police Station I think, as it has the letters ER above the entrance door, but I have not been able to confirm this.


The Hotel/Motel I think has closed, probably due to the restrictions on dining and lack of tourists in the area, also winter time is very cold and people don't get out and about as much.  Hopefully things will improve soon.

We left the town and drove through some lovely rural scenery.











 

There were some lovely old dry stone walls, some have seen better days, but they are still beautiful.  My father used to tell me that he would never walk anywhere on our family farm without picking up a stone or two to add to the pile ready for building a dry stone wall.



Punthari Church built in 1939 and converted in recent years to a residence.


Old shearing shed.



I love the old stone buildings in this area.



Of course I couldn't resist posting a photo of some rusty vehicles.  

4 comments:

Cheri (Blackledge) Peine said...

Great pictures - I love the story of your father picking up the stones for a stone building. Small memories but so important to remember later in life. My Grandpa (mom's dad) raised sheep for awhile. Seeing the sheepshearing shed reminded me of the few times we were there during that time. The church converted into a home is beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Elephant's Child said...

Some lovely selections this week. Thank you for joining us again.
I am fascinated by dry stone walls - it is very skilled work and some of them last incredibly well.

Pauline said...

Amazing how good rusty old things look in photos. Thanks for the outing today. My Dad told the same story about picking up stones to make fences - and standing in fresh cow poo to warm his feet on frosty mornings. My son tried that one when he was about 10 and declared he'd rather have cold feet. Aren't memories wonderful?

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Lovely selections made me feel good dropping by

Featured post

Around The Coorong

  InLinkz  for WATER H20 THURSDAY The Coorong Narrung, South Australia Beachport, Sth Aus Robe,Sth Aus Narrung Point Malcolm Ligthouse, Narr...