Sunday Selections

 


Wudinna, South Australia

I am continuing with my theme of country towns as we travel through South Australia towards Western Australia.

Linking with Sunday Selections (river-driftingthroughlife.blogspot.com)

The meme is now continued by Elephant's Child and I occasionally join in as do a few others. Andrew is one. Drop in to Elephant's Child and have a look

Wudinna is known as Granite Country where granite has been quarried since the 1990's.

The Australian Farmer granite sculpture in Wudinna

"Australian Farmer" celebrates the spirit of Australian farming communities from pioneering days to the challenges of rural living today. It is a reflection of life, spirit and soul of the farming community.

Minnipa



Another of my Windscreen shots of scenery near Minnipa

Minnipa is a small town in the wheatbelt area of  South Australia.  From Minnipa we drove about 15km to Pildappa Rock.
Entering the town of Minnipa which is dominated by the silos

Pildappa Rock

Pildappa Rock is magnificent granite outcrop and provides great views of the surrounding area. 


The track into Pildappa Rock






These are the original geraniums planted in 1938

Looking down at our car and van from the  lower level of the rock

Wave formations on the rock






Pildappa Rock is very large and we were surprised at its size.  It's nowhere near the size of Uluru but it is huge and is well worth a visit.  We spent some time there and we climbed to a lower level which was quite easy but was very windy so we didn't go any higher.  There is a picnic area and also free camping.


 There are wave formations and a gutter system at the base of the rock which contains water most of the year..




Comments

DUTA said…
Stunning granite sculpture of the australian farmer!
Great shots of the Pildappa Rock!
Pauline said…
Stunning images. Love the shots of Pildappa Rock. I always love seeing photos of your travels through the countryside.
Beautiful shots showcasing our very varied country.
Rosie said…
Duta, yes the granite sculpture was amazing and a great tribute to the farmers. We enjoyed Pildappa Rock and it was such a surprise to find it in the middle of nowhere.
Rosie said…
Pauline, I am glad you enjoy my photos. Pildappa Rock was great and a nice area for camping or picnics.
Rosie said…
EC - we certainly do have a wonderful country and so many things to see if time permits. Hopefully we will have enough time!
Angie said…
Rosie - I am trying to comment on your blog but it won't let me. Any ideas?
Angie said…
Rosie - OK, that seemed to work. But when I try to comment on the link that you put on Mosaic Monday, it does not let me comment. And last week, I could not access your link at all. Any ideas?

Here is what I would have said! Rosie - you're back!!! I am glad to see you again. I was just showing your pictures to my husband ... the variety and the beauty of the wildlife in Australia is beyond imagination. Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday. I hope you come again!

Rosie said…
Angie - I have changed a couple of settings and have done a "test comment" so hope the comments work for you. Thanks for letting me know and I will try and fix the link.
Thanks for sharing wonderful landscapes. Happy Sunday to you.

Popular posts from this blog

Around Home

Sunday Selections