Sunday 21 June 2020

Mosaic Monday





Adelaide Bungalows

Many bungalows in Adelaide are known as Californian bungalows because they are generally built in brick with timber trim.  Some suburbs of Adelaide have many bungalows which were mainly built in the 1920's.  I grew up in a Californian bungalow which was demolished in 1960 and a group of apartments built on the very large block of land.  When my parents sold their bungalow they had no idea that so many apartments would be built on the land, and I think they would not have sold if they had realised that their lovely old house would be demolished.  I have so many good memories of playing in the garden and we even fashioned a playhouse in the very large cypress hedge which went all the way down the side between the neighbours house, and which my dad used to cut by hand every few months.
 My daughter and her family live in a lovely bungalow now and I think they are such a beautiful style of house but they do need a lot of maintenance, and many of them have had extensions to cater for the open plan style that is popular these days.
There are many different styles of bungalows and I tried to capture a few different ones, but I was concerned that neighbours might be wondering what I was doing taking photographs.  I think I got away without anyone getting concerned.


Not a bungalow but  there is an interesting turret on this lovely old house

Another lovely house but not a bungalow but very pretty

This one is Tudor Style, another popular style here in Adelaide






This bungalow has a lovely brush fence which is also a popular fence in Adelaide







Not a bungalow but a symmetrical fronted cottage with a bull nosed verandah

Californian bungalows have been one of Australia's most popular architectural styles since their burst in popularity between 1910 and 1930. Built with the North American heat in mind, their wide entrance halls and flowing rooms have always suited the Australian climate.


17 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Some really beautiful homes - thank you.

Margaret D said...

The homes are really lovely and I do like the trees in the street.
Thanks for sharing as it's always good to see houses or various kinds.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

These are lovely abodes. They are all well cared for and are beautifully landscaped. Thank you for sharing!

Tom said...

...Rosie, I love the bungalow style which I associate with the Arts and Craft period. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Rita said...

Really pretty houses. Looks like everyone likes fences or boundaries of some kind. :)

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Love seeing all the different homes and the way they are finished out. Here is Florida, the homes in this area all look a lot alike! At least we have different colors though...mine is lavender!

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

One bloody great photo after another here

Rosie said...

Thanks, we have some interesting old homes here in Adelaide.

Rosie said...

I love the old houses here and many streets are tree-lined too.

Rosie said...

I am glad that you enjoyed seeing some of these lovely old houses.

Rosie said...

Thanks Rita, many houses in the older suburbs have fences here.

Rosie said...

The suburbs here do seem to have different styles, and the older suburbs have lovely old houses but some are being demolished to make way for two or three houses on one block which means there is no outside space.

Rosie said...

Thanks Jo-Anne, I did enjoy going around the suburbs and seeing some lovely houses.

Lady Fi said...

Lovely bungalows. I like that turret!

Cheri (Blackledge) Peine said...

What beautiful bungalows and homes you have shared. I love a home that you can clearly see is well taken care of, knowing the owners are proud of it. Thanks for sharinig.

Angie said...

Rosie - for some reason, I really enjoy architecture, especially houses, so this was a very interesting post for me. It is always difficult when one finds out that a childhood home was torn down. It seems to be quite common in some areas, especially when they tear down two and put up what I call McMansions - like a McDonald's hamburger, they all look the same and it is a shame! Thanks for linking up to Mosaic Monday!

Dawn said...

I love these houses. It is interesting to me to look at old homes and imagine what it was like when it was built and the families that lived there.
Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

Featured post

Around The Coorong

  InLinkz  for WATER H20 THURSDAY The Coorong Narrung, South Australia Beachport, Sth Aus Robe,Sth Aus Narrung Point Malcolm Ligthouse, Narr...