Tuesday 12 January 2016

Closer to home

Well it's far too hot to do anything in the garden, and in fact all I feel like doing is sitting around with the air conditioner on.  The weather has been in the high 30C for a few weeks now and I am getting sick of it.  I always said I liked the hot weather better than the cold but I think I am about to change my mind.  I decided that I had to get out and do something so we went for a drive into the hills in the north east of Adelaide as I wanted to get some photos of some of the old cottages that might one day be demolished or just fall down because they are not being looked after, and once they are gone no-one will remember them, so I decided to take some photos and then I will do some watercolour paintings.  There have been so many lovely old buildings around that have now been demolished and we wish we had taken photos before the developers came along. 

Old house in Gumeracha



We stumbled across this lovely old house when we were trying to find Kenton Park, which was originally Capt. Randall's father's house, who was the first man to navigate a steamship up the River Murray, and who eventually settled in Mannum.  We couldn't get to see Kenton Park as it is concealed in a large area of mature trees and undergrowth and a new housing estate has been developed around the original property.
Breakneck Cutting cottage
 The cottage I call "Breakneck" is situated on the main road to Mannum and is near Breakneck Cutting.  This cottage has been in this dilapidated state for many years now, and I am surprised that it is still standing, but it has been fenced off and secured so hopefully it will remain as it is or maybe somebody will restore it.
Tea Tree Gully - old barn


 This is another "find" when we were on a "back road".  I love the  stone work on these old buildings.

Inglewood Inn- one of our favourite places to have a meal
The Inglewood Inn is a landmark in Tea Tree Gully, and we have enjoyed many meals here over the years, but in the last couple of years it has undergone a "makeover" and is better than ever, and the views from the dining area at the rear of the building makes for a perfect way to spend a few hours and in winter it is so cosy with the lovely woodburner.

No comments:

Featured post

Around The Coorong

  InLinkz  for WATER H20 THURSDAY The Coorong Narrung, South Australia Beachport, Sth Aus Robe,Sth Aus Narrung Point Malcolm Ligthouse, Narr...